Thursday, January 12, 2006

Free-wheelin’ on my pathfinder

So, I finally got my bike up and running again, well the cycle shop did anyway... Apparently it was ‘pathetic’ to take it to JT cycles and pay $70 for a bit of oil here and there and a new tube in my front wheel. I guess it kind of is considering the bike only cost a couple of hundred to start with. But really what would be pathetic would be NOT taking it to get fixed, kind of like when you finish up with a broken unused pinball machine, wonderboy arcade game, coffee machine, amplifier and a half dozen boxes of cd’s sitting in your hallway cause ‘all they need is a 20c fuse’ for the last year or so… and then what’s even more pathetic is when you suggest that maybe they should go to a new home where they might get that 20c fuse you get the most pathetic baby tantrum I’ve ever seen, but anyway…

How good is it to have my bike back in action, I forgot the about the feeling of freedom! I think it’s something to do with the fact that you’re moving at a speed in between the two main speeds of the rest of the world. You’re zooming past pedestrians and the cars are speeding past you without even looking at you, and you can weave in and out of each world as you please. It’s basically just you and the open road… until bunch of those serious cyclists (who wear lycra and travel in packs) zoom past invading your middle speed world (which is kind of embarrassing when you think you’re on your own and so are singing the wrong words to dear prudence just a bit too loud).

There is one other world (apart from pedestrian, car and mine)… the world of the busses. Apparently this world is so interesting that there is an English sitcom all about it (my friend nugget says it’s really good and has the complete dvd box set, apparently it’s called ‘on the busses’). Anyway, this morning when I was riding past all the bus drivers who were stopped for their break on the east side of Victoria Square, I caught a glimpse of the hilarity that is the busses. There was one bus driver trying to reverse parallel park his bus into a gap between the other busses and instead of moving their busses to make room for him, all the other bus drivers were standing around clutching their jiggling beer bellies and heckling him “your never gonna make it” and “your entry angle’s all wrong” “stop showing-off in front of the lady”…

Hmm.. I guess it's probably funnier in an English accent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home